Dorothy, I'm not in Kansas anymore. Or rather, I'm not in California. I've come up to Oregon for a while to participate in a strange game of Musical Caregivers. Sort of. I think I'm really just comic relief. My mom and I are about to eat ice cream and watch Austenland, a total chick flick. It's been easy to come up with 10 Things of Thankful this week.
1. Before I left for Oregon, I enjoyed a wonderful desert thunderstorm. The rain was followed by some impressive, pea-sized hail.
2. I learned a new technique for sewing baby blankets, and I was pleased that the mitered corners turned out pretty well.
3. On a frivolous front, I found a good deal online for furniture covers. I ordered some for two chairs and a loveseat. I had originally purchased the chairs with the intention of learning to reupholster them. Who was I kidding?! Thanks to the good deal, the chairs look nice and I avoided the stress (and cost) of trying to learn to reupholster. (Part of me still thinks it would be a fun skill to know, though.)
4. This is vague, but we had some very good news this week that relieved a nagging concern. Happy, happy day!
5. My flight to Oregon was uneventful, and I'm enjoying seeing my parents and grandma again. Grandma's place is nice. The staff, residents, and visitors all seem to know each other, and everyone greets everyone else by name. I saw a sign hanging in the nurses' station which said something to the effect of, "These clients do not live in our workplace, we are workers in the residents' home." Grandma no longer remembers living at my parents' house. My mom visits Grandma on an almost-daily basis, and other friends come by on the days my mom can't. Grandma enjoys watching the staff work out in the gardens.
6. I've been a big helper here, or at least I'd like to think so. My dad said he didn't have a tractor license to issue to me, but he did tell me that I earned a field commission. (The whole time I was learning to drive the tractor, I just kept thinking, "Christine will be so proud of me!") I'm thankful for a dad who is such a patient teacher.
7. The green of Oregon soothes my soul. The flowers are blooming, and everything is just so beautiful.
8. Mom and I are having a great time together. We are laughing a lot and attempting (with mixed results) to document our adventures.
9. Good food. Years ago, I realized my favorite foods are from the Northwest. Raspberries, filberts, salmon, Dungeness crab, artichokes--and in the two days I've been here, I've had three of the five!
10. As always, I'm thankful for John. He's home while I'm here, and I'm learning again that absence does make the heart grow fonder.
Well, Austenland is over, the rain is falling on the roof, and it is past my bedtime. Better wrap this up!
What are you thankful for this week?
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, The Meaning of Me, Thankful Me, Uncharted, The Wakefield Doctrine
Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group