|A tiny lesser goldfinch sits on a dandelion stalk in the grass|
It's October! The temperatures are cooler, and this week I found myself taking time to notice little things around me, like the cute lesser goldfinch in the photo above. Just that one photo prompts several things I am thankful for, so let's just dive into the Ten Things of Thankful list!
1. I'm thankful for birds that visit my yard.
2. I'm thankful for a guidebook to help me identify the birds.
3. In the entry for "Lesser Goldfinch," the guidebook reads: "Lesser Goldfinches feed on dandelion seeds and raise their young on soft unripe seeds. They adjust the time and place of their breeding to the presence of this staple food." I guess that means I am thankful for dandelions, because without their presence in my yard, I probably would not see that cute goldfinch.
(Next slide, please.)
|Lavell Edwards stadium fills prior to the BYU/USU football game, as the sun sets amid dark clouds|
4. I'm thankful John and I were able to attend a BYU football game this past week. It's always nice to return to our alma mater.
7. I'm thankful for the Book of Mormon which, together with the Bible, brings peace and direction to my life. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It's easy to access via an app that can be found at this link. It is available in more than 100 languages, so chances are, you can find it in your own primary language.
8. I'm thankful for General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which happens every six months. It's a time to gather together (mostly virtually, as the church is a world-wide church, and large though the conference center is, it wouldn't come close to holding all 16+million members) and hear talks that help strengthen our commitment to Jesus Christ and his gospel.
9. I'm thankful for organizations throughout the world that provide humanitarian service to those in need. Some of those organizations were mentioned in General Conference this morning: Red Cross/Red Crescent, Catholic Relief Services, Muslim Aid, Water for People, IsraAid, MedGlobal. Dallin H. Oaks stated in his talk: God inspires many organizations and individuals to do much good. … More of us should be recognizing the good done by others and supporting it as we have the time and means to do so.
No matter what our religious affiliation (if any), we can come together to help those who are in need.
10. I'm thankful for John.
|John and me at the BYU football game|
What are you thankful for this week? Write your thoughts down and link them up at the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop!