|John and I hold up cupcakes in celebration of the TToT's 7th birthday last weekend|
It was so good to read all your posts last weekend, as the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop celebrated its 7th birthday. Thanks to all who joined!
As dependable as the US Postal Service --"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"--the TToT is here, week after week, to provide a place for bloggers all over the world to gather together and express thanks. We don't have to have a celebration, or even a good day/week, to have a reason to type out things that we are thankful for; the benefit of the exercise works no matter what is going on around us. So, even though the birthday party is over, feel free to continue coming here!
1. for the TToT community. (That means YOU!)
2. that the garden survived the 40+ degree weather swing (from near 100 to the 50's and back to the 90's) and the accompanying hail.
3. we ate a salad made from home-grown lettuce, our first harvest of the season.
4. I noticed cute baby quail in our yard!
5. the local thrift store has started accepting donations again since closing in March, I was able to book an appointment, and I was able to clear out the big pile of donations that has been taking up space in the basement.
6. for family history research that gives a glimpse into what life was like in the past. Nowadays, if a form has a line with the word "telephone" by it, it is assumed that the correct answer will be a series of numbers. On this WWII draft registration form I found, the answer was "yes," followed by the name of the town. As long as you connected to the operator of that exchange, she could direct the call to the right line--which, most likely, was a party line. (Likewise, in this small town, there wasn't a street name or number listed for place of residence.)
7. I learned a new tip for texting, thanks to the Reader's Digest. If you want to put a period at the end of a sentence, double-tap on the space bar, and it will automatically put in a period, a space, and capitalize the next word.
8. for whimsical things that make me smile. Today, I had to take a detour, which made me drive by a house I'd never been by before. I saw a topiary in the shape of a cactus. It even has eyes stuck in it. It made me laugh!
9. for the safety of family members, some of whom live in cities where rioting is happening.
10. for John.
What are you thankful for this week? Have any interesting topiaries in your area?
Joining me this week: