|Photo: The Colosseum in Rome, Italy|
I teach the 10-year-olds at church. Our class meets while the younger kids are meeting together for singing time. When our class time is over, we go to singing time and the younger children have class time. Today, as my class was leaving the room and the little kids were coming in, one of the boys announced, "It smells like vacation in here!" Apparently I still smell like Italy. 😄
Sometimes, I have exciting posts to share, like the posts about vacation. Other times, like this week, my life seems rather dull. However, there is always something to be thankful for, so let's jump right into this week's Ten Things of Thankful:
1. I am SO thankful I wasn't sick while I was on vacation. I know some in our group were not feeling well, and each day that I continue to cough and just generally feel run-down, I feel badly that some people felt this way while on vacation.
2. I am also thankful that I'm not chronically sick. So many people battle chronic problems. This is nothing like that.
3. I'm thankful I am (I assume) on the mend. No fever=feeling better.
3. I'm thankful that I don't really have many demands on my time at this stage of life. I can take it easy without disrupting others too much. (Although John has been heating up cans of soup more often than usual!)
4. I'm thankful that there are ways to be productive even while not feeling great: I've started on the taxes, did the budget, and tackled the email inbox.
5. I'm thankful for online shopping. What did I do before Amazon? This week I tried to cook something in my electric pressure cooker, but the pressure wasn't building up. I realized that I was missing a tiny little silicone part. I have no idea where I could find that piece in a brick-and-mortar store, but I could find it in about 2 minutes online. Two days later, I received the part.
6. Similarly, I'm thankful online search engines. When I noticed some water on our laundry room floor, I could quickly find possible problems and solutions. The next load of laundry will let me know if the problem is fixed.
7. I'm thankful for being able to see deer on the ridge, quail in the street, and snow-covered peaks across the lake. John has mentioned more than once that living here feels like being on vacation, and some of that calm feeling comes from the lovely views.
8. I'm thankful for good books. I've said before that I sometimes have a hard time sitting down to read for fun, because I think I should be doing something else instead. Being a bit under the weather has removed about 90% of my motivation to do anything, so I'm finding it much easier to just cozy up with a book.
9. I'm thankful for a comfortable bed, soft Kleenex, cold medication, hot soup, and those wonderful frozen mango fruit bars.
10. I'm thankful for John. This week was Valentine's Day. Any other year, we would go out to dinner to celebrate. That did not sound fun at all this week. We heated up another can of soup and fell asleep watching a boring movie on TV. It was a perfect date.
Was your week boring or exciting? More importantly, what are you thankful for this week?