Apparently Punxsutawney Phil felt like that on Groundhog Day this year, at least according to the account I read. He put up quite the struggle before emerging from his den to tell us there would be six more weeks of winter. I don't think I'd like to be pulled out of my cave, either, but I do know something that helps me when I don't want to face the day. One of the best solutions I've found is to take a moment (not too long--I'm not trying to procrastinate here!) and count my many blessings. There is so much for which to be thankful!
1. I can't believe I am saying this, but it rained again this week! I am so thankful for the moisture we've been getting, and for the fact the ground has been soaking it up nicely.
2. I'm thankful for my visiting teachers, the women from the church that check up on me, share messages of hope and love, and are my friends.
3. I'm thankful for other friends who feel comfortable sharing their challenges with me, and . . .
4. I'm thankful for prayer, which (combined with a listening ear and a shoulder) is sometimes the only thing I can offer.
5. I'm thankful that #3 and #4 apply in more than one situation, so I can make those general statements, think and pray in specific, and respect privacy.
6. I'm thankful to have made it through the week (at least to this point) without sugar. I'm not opposed to sweets on special occasions; it's just easy for me to find a reason to celebrate every day--and that is a problem! It's getting easier and easier to say, "No, thank you" each day that passes.
7. I'm thankful to recognize things I can do (like prayer, scripture study, sleep, exercise, eating healthy foods, expressing gratitude, service, taking a deep breath, etc.) to prepare myself for each day ahead.
8. I'm thankful I got to spend some time with my grandchildren this week. There is nothing quite like hearing, "GRANDMA!" and seeing a sweet child running towards you with arms outstretched, to lift your mood and brighten your day.
|Photo: Oldest granddaughter, with bobbed brown hair and wearing pink overalls, holds a black and white, blue-eyed husky puppy|
9. I'm thankful I've written a few more blog posts this week, and I'm thankful that I'm writing this post on Friday morning. Feel free to join in the #52Stories Project, Ivy's Six Sentence Stories, or of course, The Ten Things of Thankful!
10. I'm thankful for John. He's had a busy week, but no matter how hectic his schedule is, he's always willing to listen to me. He buoys me up.
Did Groundhog Day get you down? What helps you face your day? What are you thankful for this week?