This morning, Deedee and I walked to the mall (and then through the mall), and in less than an hour, Deedee had lots of different experiences! Here are Deedee's insights:
1. Pigeons are ridiculous birds and are not worthy of a second glance, let alone a chase.
2. Kristi walks quickly, then slowly, then stops, then starts--and expects me to match her pace. I've got the different strides down pat, but I really don't understand the stop and go thing. When I've stopped, I want to stay stopped. Kristi says we are going to keep working on this. I'm sure she'll figure it out sometime.
3. Kristi has a thing about walking over different surfaces. At first, I tried to direct her to stay on the smooth sidewalk, but she insisted we walk over grates and other such textured objects. She tells me, "Nice!" and gives me a piece of kibble, so I'm a pro at this game now.
|Photo: Black lab puppy, Deedee, stands on a grate and looks up at the camera.|
|Photo: Deedee stands and turns away from the distracting tissue on the sidewalk|
5. The old people that walk for exercise at the mall are friendly, and when Kristi stops to talk to them, the way I'm supposed to say hi back is to just stand there and look adorable. Guide dog puppies are a cool, calm, collected lot.
6. The children in the neighborhood who are
7. I won't even translate what the neighbor's big German shepherd was telling me, as he barked at us from inside his house. It momentarily stopped me in my tracks, but Kristi wasn't phased, so we just kept on walking. She's a pretty good judge of situations.
8. As you can imagine, the morning's training has me tired out. So, if you'll excuse me, it's nap time!
|Photo: Deedee settles in for a snooze.|
Thanks for learning opportunities!